10.10.2008

the call 10.10.07

(This happened last year, 10.10.07) You know, the one that you get at work and you aren't expecting...it leaves you speechless. It was the call from our nurse practictioner and she called to tell me that my blood test was POSITIVE and my beta was something crazy high...I can't even still remember, but I do have it written down at home, thankfully. OMG, I was freaking out, but quietly, since I work in a cube farm. I think I even said "Are you kidding me?" I couldn't believe that it was really positive, I felt nothing, not sick, no pains, nothing...until after the call and then I was in a fog...an excited one, but still a fog and felt everything. LOL!

I tried and tried to concentrate on work, but I had to tell Rob and had to think of a way to tell him that was creative. I so wanted to tell mom too, but had to tell Rob first. So I quickly asked for vacation time for the afternoon and ran out to Hallmark at lunch. I picked up the "new dad" willow tree figure, a "generations" one for mom (since she already had the "grandma" one) and a few cards for them and my sisters and some gift boxes.

So I make it all the way home without exploding (and have known for 3 hours). I go in the front door and Max and Sophie go crazy and bark and wake up Rob. He asked "What are you doing home?" I told him I was sick and came home from work. He said "oh, ok." I then said, what is this box and lucky for me he was sleepy and he said "I dunno". He opened it and saw the figure and the card and asked "Are you serious?" He jumped out of bed and was so excited. It was cute! Then we deliberated on how we were going to tell mom, Rob had class that night, so it would have to be later. Rob wanted to be there, so that was the problem.

We ended up having to wait until after Rob's class was over, like 9 p.m. and he met us for dinner and then ran home to get the gift. Mom and I had gone shopping for curtains and such that evening, so we were still together when Rob got out of class. We went to Walmart to pick up some stuff and then ended up telling her there. I wanted it to be semi-private, so we got out to the parking lot and I said, "Rob ran home to get a belated birthday gift for you." (Her birthday is 10.3, so it was only 7 days late.) We gave her the card first and it was something about expecting a baby and she was so excited, we all started crying again. I then said open your gift and in her mom way she said "%^&$ the gift, this is the best gift!" It was funny, you gotta know my mom. She is usually pretty calm, but every once in awhile the mostly German, foul mouthed person comes out in her. LOL! She did end up liking the figure, but loved the news more. :) So then she wanted to know all the details, so I rode home with her to tell her about everything. We went to town to tell Jenny, Carrie, Bart and Boyd. We got J&B&B out of bed and Carrie was on her way to work, but they were all ecstatic too. :) Bart guessed the news before we got there.

What an amazing day. I slept like crap that night and even got sick a few times, but it was just all the excitement. That's how my body reacts to extreme stress, good or bad.

It is a day I don't think we'll ever forget. Of course, I still know that I'm not out of the woods yet, I have a long first trimester ahead of me.

A few miracles happened this day:
1.) Rob was tired, because if he had been awake, he would have known that I'm snoopy and I would have opened the box and not waited for him to do it.
2.) My mom called (I even think she called my cell) and didn't ask any questions, like why aren't you at work, etc. Usually she grills me (or it would seem that way if I was hiding something from her.)
3.) I made it an entire shopping trip with my mom without slipping up.

2 comments:

Diane J. said...

Ahhh, how sweet. What a great moment to always remember.

Anonymous said...

I love those kinds of memories!!! Thank you so much for sharing with us!!